4 Interesting Trivia Facts About Quartz

Quartz countertops have grown in popularity in recent years and for good reason. There are some pretty neat advantages and benefits to using this material for your countertops. Its versatility and durability are just a couple of reasons why they have become such a great choice for many people.

The fact that it can also increase the value of a home may have something to do with it too! For these and other reasons, quartz is arguably the best countertop option on the market today. It is also better in terms of hygiene. Let’s take a closer look at quartz and some of the things about it that you may not know.

1. It Isn’t A Natural Stone Countertop

A quartz countertop is made by using quartz pieces bonded together using a non-porous resin. While it certainly does sound as if it is a natural stone countertop, because of the way it is made, it is considered as a manufactured product. It is very hard and non-porous but the great thing about it is that it can be moulded into some unique and interesting shapes. It is possible to create unique curves unlike countertops that are made from marble and granite. With those, there will be cuts and seams that are visible and unsightly.

2. 100 Percent Quartz? Not Quite

When you take your average quartz countertop slab, it is actually around 97 percent quartz minerals. The other 3 percent is made up of the special resin material that holds it all together. So, even though it is not considered a 100 percent natural stone product, much of its body is made of natural minerals. Despite being almost natural, it can be made with colours that make it look like natural stone even though you would be hard-pressed to find such colours in nature. This can be achieved by using some recycled products.

3. Second Most Abundant Mineral

Quartz is only behind feldspar as the most abundant mineral in Earth’s continental crust. Marble and granite, on the other hand, must be mined in certain locations and there is only a certain amount of it, making quartz a more sustainable material. Quartz can also conduct electricity under pressure. Quartz is also thought to have some mystical powers which can attract certain energies to the home. Though it can come in varying colours, in its purest form, it is clear.

4. It’s A Better Option Than Granite

Many people agree that quartz is the better of the two, hands down. Quartz is also a lot more harder than granite with estimates suggesting that it is five times harder. That is good news if you choose to use quartz as your countertop. That’s because it is much more resistant to breaks, chips and cracks. You would be upset if something like that happened to your countertop, wouldn’t you? It is also impervious to staining and it does not need to be repeatedly sealed. This also means there is less bacteria and less build-up of mould, mildew and grime.

Some good points worth mentioning about quartz is that there is less maintenance involved when compared to other material. Sealing and repairs are not required for a quartz countertop, so unlike granite, which requires maintenance, with quartz, you will have more free time.